The UKK Health-Related Fitness Test is a field-based test battery serving as a professional tool for physical activity counseling. The battery is designed to monitor fitness and advance health-enhacing physical activity among middle-aged adults.
A safe fitness test battery for adults
The UKK Health-Related Fitness Test is a scientifically developed test battery for middle-aged adults. It is a valid and reliable method to assess and monitor fitness and a safe and motivating method to promote health-enhancing physical activity and fitness. The term ‘health-related fitness’ refers to a person’s overall physical capacity.
The battery includes field-based tests for
- aerobic fitness
- musculoskeletal fitness
- motor fitness
- measures of body composition.
The test battery is a professional tool for physical activity counseling in both primary health care and recreational settings. It enable individually-tailored fitness programmes to be drawn up on the basis of individual results.
Components of health-related fitness are important for health and well-being and can be improved by regular physical activity.
Tests of the UKK Health-Related Fitness Test Battery
- aerobic fitness is measured by the well known UKK Walk Test and/or 6 minute Walk Test
- motor fitness tests assess balance and agility
- musculoskeletal tests assess muscular strenght, power and endurance and flexibility of whole body
- body composition is assessed by simple measures of body height, weight and waist circumference.
Aims of measuring health-related fitness
- to assess the level of fitness compared to age- and sex-matched norm-reference values
- to motivate for regular physical activity
- to monitor changes in fitness.
The client learns about many aspects of health-related fitness and receives a safe individually-tailored physical activity programme.
Last updated: 31.8.2022